Soulforce, guided by the spirit of truth and empowered by the principles of relentless nonviolent resistance, works to end the religious and political oppression of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning people.
We seek freedom from religious and political oppression for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning people.
1. We believe in relentless nonviolent resistance against religious and political oppression of LGBTQ people.
2. We believe in full inclusion and equality for all.
3. We believe in the fierce urgency of now.
4. We believe that truth, love, and justice will ultimately prevail.
5. We believe in empowering people.
6. We believe that the LGBTQ community consists of people from every race, class, and walk of life and that the liberation of LGBTQ people cannot be achieved without working in solidarity against all forms of discrimination and oppression.
7. We believe in resisting injustice.
8. We believe in changing hearts and minds.
9. We believe that our adversaries are as much victims of untruth as we have been.
10. We believe our task is to relentlessly bring our adversaries truth using the methods of love.
11. We believe in absorbing any violence against us in an action as voluntary redemptive suffering without retaliation or complaint.
12. We believe in the importance of a personal commitment to live and become the change we seek.
"The leader of the young white toughs was sporting . . . a motorcycle jacket and slick back hair, and when he saw [Jim] Lawson come over, he was so enraged by his coolness that he spat at him. Lawson looked at him and asked him for a handkerchief. The man was really stunned and he reached in his pocket and handed Lawson a handkerchief. And Lawson wiped the spit off himself as calmly as he could. Then he looked at the man’s jacket and started talking to him. Did he have a motorcycle or a hot rod car? A motorcycle was the answer. Jim asked a technical question or two and the young man started explaining what he had done to customize his bike.”
– From The Children by David Halberstam
Soulforce strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual’s race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, height and weight, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, partnership status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, arrest record and any other characteristic protected by law.