April 6, 2005
Dear Soulforce Volunteers,
We are so glad you have made plans to join us forMAYDAY in Colorado Springs, April 30-May 2, 2005. We head into the final days of preparation with a great deal of excitement and trust that the Creator will work through us to do justice. Just a few announcements and reminders:
Two important changes to the schedule:
- The location for the training in nonviolence, scheduled for Sunday, May 1 at 10:30am, has been moved to the University of Colorado Gymnasium, located at 1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway (adjacent to the University Center). From I-25, take the Garden of the Gods Exit 146. Follow Garden of the Gods east. Garden of the Gods will turn into Austin Bluffs Parkway; follow Austin Bluffs to the first UCCS entrance, which is the second stoplight after Nevada on Austin Bluffs, and make a left. This entrance accesses the University Center, with the gymnasium behind.
- The Sunday night training has been moved to Monday, May 2nd at 8am. That training, in preparation for our Family Intervention at Dobson’s headquarters, will be held at the Hilton Garden Inn, 1810 Briargate Parkway,near Focus on the Family. The details of our visit to Focus, including the exact time of our visit, will be announced at that training. You must attend this training in order to participate in the visit to Focus later that morning.
- The MayDay Rally on May 1 is packed with dynamic speakers and performers! In the next day or two, you will be able to check out the bios and photos for each rally speaker atwww.soulforce.org.
- The last day to reserve hotel rooms is April 15, 2005. If you haven’t reserved a room yet, go to www.soulforce.org/televangelists/dobson/2005action/hotel.shtmlfor more information.
- Soulforce is requesting volunteers to help out with registration on Saturday, April 30 at 4:30pm, Sunday, May 1 at 10am, and again at 12:30pm at the rally. If you can help in this important way, please contact Kara Speltz at email@example.com
- Soulforce recently received a letter from Jim Daly, President and CEO of Focus on the Family, in response to our letter to him. Mr. Daly’s letter and the Soulforce response can be found at www.soulforce.org/televangelists/dobson/2005action/index.shtmlunder “Additional Information.”
- New t-shirts will be on sale at the action!The artwork on the front is what you see at the top of this alert. Be cool! Be trendy! Do justice in style. Get a new t-shirt and smile!
- You can view a 2-minute Soulforce DVD video trailer on the Soulforce homepage. The full 29-minute DVD, “Dear Dr. Dobson” will be shown on April 30 at 8pm at Pikes Peak MCC in Colorado Springs. Copies of the DVD will be available that night for a suggested donation.
Please review the following Pledge as together we prepare out hearts and minds for this action:
- As I prepare for this direct action, I will meditate regularly on the life and teachings of Gandhi and King and other truth-seekers.
- I will remember that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation — not victory.
- I will walk and talk in the manner of love and nonviolence.
- I will contemplate daily what I can do so that all can be free.
- I will sacrifice my own personal wishes that all might be free.
- I will observe with friend and foes the ordinary rules of courtesy.
- I will perform regular service for others and for the world.
- I will refrain from violence of fist, tongue and heart.
- I will strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
- I will follow the directions of the squad leaders and other Soulforce leaders on our nonviolent direct actions.
More updates will be coming your way in these final days. Thank you for doing justice with us!
Co-Chair, Colorado Springs Direct Action