The 2009 Anti-Heterosexism Conference
Building Community to End the Harm Caused By Heterosexism & Reparative Therapy
November 20-22, 2009
West Palm Beach, Florida
Early Registration begins August 20 and ends November 5, 2009
SCHEDULE (subject to change):
Friday, November 20, 2009
9:00AM-5:00PM: Pre-conference Institute: A Gathering for "Ex-Gay" Survivors
4:00PM Conference Registration and Check-In
7:30PM Opening Remarks: Jeff Lutes, M.S., L.P.C.
7:45PM Reflections from Survivors of Ex-Gay Ministries & Reparative Therapy
8:30PM Reception by the pool, cash bar open.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
9:00AM Welcome: Marsha McDonough, Ph.D. and Paul W. Dodd, D.Min., L.P.C.
9:15AM Keynote Address:
- "STRAIGHT" Rackets: Why the Religious Right Needs Reparative Therapy
Sylvia Rhue, Ph.D.
10:30AM-12:00PM Concurrent Workshops (Session 1)
- The Effects of Homophobic Stress in Childhood and Adolescence on Later Adult Psychological Functioning in Gay Men: A Model for Treatment
Dominic Carbone, Ph.D.
- Getting It Straight: Ex-Gay Survivors and Their Therapeutic Needs
Christine Bakke and Jallen Rix, Ed.D.
- Media Access: Getting Through the Noise
12:00PM – 1:30PM Lunch
1:30PM – 3:00PM Concurrent Workshops (Session 2)
- Microaggressions and the LGBT Community: Advocating for Social Justice on Individual, Institutional, and Societal Levels
Kevin Nadal, Ph.D.; David Rivera, M.S.; Melissa Corpus, M.A.; Lauren Fisher, M.A.
- Heterosexual Interrupted: What the Ex-Gay Movement Really Means By "Change"
- Heterosexism and Transgender Oppression
Virginia Stephenson & Jordan Johnson
3:15PM-4:45PM Concurrent Workshops (Session 3)
- Genocidal Intentions: Public Policy and the Ex-Gay Movement
Christine Robinson, Ph.D.
- Body & Soul: Integrating Sexuality & Spirituality
Timothy Palmer, M. Div.
- Pray Away the Gay?
4:45PM – 5:00PM Break
5:00PM – 6:00PM Keynote Address:
- "STRAIGHT" Jackets: A Psychiatrist Deconstructs Sexual Conversion Therapies
Jack Drescher, M.D.
7:30PM-9:00PM: M.U.D. (Men Under Dirt) – A Special Evening Performance by Ollom Movement Art
(Champagne and chocolate served)
Sunday, November 22, 2009
9:00 – 10:00AM Keynote Address:
- "It Just Ain’t So": Debunking the Myth of Gender Polarity
Rev. Deborah L. Johnson
10:15 – 11:45 Concurrent Workshops (Session 4)
- Media 101: How to Build and Deliver an Effective Message
- Spiritual Self-Defense for LGBT Christians
Rev. Candace Chellew
- Queering Youth/Young Adult Activism
Andi Gentile and Asher Kolieboi
12:00-1:00PM Lessons Learned This Weekend: A Conversation About Implementing Effective Strategies In Our Communities
Marsha McDonough, Ph.D.; Paul W. Dodd, D.Min., L.P.C.
1:00 PM Adjourn