Soulforce Board Chair Chuck Phelan and Interim Executive Director Bill Carpenter presented retired Executive Director Jeff Lutes with a recognition award on January 10 at Metropolitan Community Church-Austin, where Jeff is a member. The award recognized Jeff’s leadership over the past four years and his program achievements, including:
- Nonviolent Direct Actions at Focus on the Family, 2005 and 2006.
- The Ex-Gay Survivors Conference, 2007.
- Seven Straight Nights for Equal Rights, 2007 and 2008.
- The American Family Outing, 2008.
- The Anti-Heterosexism Conference, 2009
- Writing “What the Science Says-And Doesn’t Say-About Homosexuality”
- Helping birth Soulforce Q and their first three Equality Rides
Chuck also pointed out that "behind every great man in our community is a great man" and recognized Jeff’s husband, Gary Stein, and their three children, who were also in attendance. The presentation took place during the training for the 2010 Equality Riders and Soulforce staffers Andi Gentile, Caitlin MacIntyre, and a number of Equality Riders were present as Jeff was honored.